CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

24 - notting hell



i really wanted to like this book because, well, it's british chick lit and typically, that is right up my alley. not the case with this book. i just didn't get it. the characters annoyed me. the notting hill "name-dropping" references (for which there is a 7 page glossary at the back for stupid americans like me - yes. SEVEN PAGES!), which were endless, were lost on me. i thought the attitude toward marital infidelity was flippant. perhaps i am not rich enough or london savvy enough to have enjoyed this novel. but, you know what? i'm okay with that. normally, after i read a book set anywhere in england or scotland i am ready to pack up everything and move "across the pond" (as they say). um. this book kind of makes me understand my fellow americans who feel like europeans are ridiculous. i never thought i would understand that thought . . .

yikes. do yall realize how hard it is for me to NOT like a book? usually i can find something redeeming. ooooh. i really like the name of the book. catchy. clever. witty.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay. I won't read it. Promise. I trust you completely. I might loan you my copy of The Perfect Fit by Louise Kearn. (Half Price last year. Put it down: offended. Picked it back up yesterday. Skimmed through many parts.) British. Lewd. A few redeeming lines. I really liked this one and copied it down in my journal. "It still feels strange to say the 'f' word out loud, and not cringe, or whisper. Just the word still manages to hurt me a little." OR this one: "But surely this isn't how everybody else lives, all the thin people, obsessed with themselves? . . . this self-involved."