CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 8, 2008

5 - hypocrite in a pouffy white dress



i know right now that any review i post of this book is not going to do it justice. for some reason i forget how much i love to read essays and memoirs. then, i seem to find myself shocked when i read a book that falls into that category and i fall hopelessly in love with it. trust me. it's happened before . . . like the summer i discovered sarah vowell and decided that she and i could be besties. yeah. so that's what i'm feelin' with susan jane gilman here. i'll be honest, i've been trying to decide whether or not to buy this book for the last year or so, but felt bad because my initial reason for wanting to read it was based solely on its cover. but, you can see why, right? so here is my simple review . . . i love how sarcastic, ironic, and crass gilman is and how she surrounds all of that with candid and sincere observations about life. my most favorite people in life seem to have a crazy knack for that. and even though she is jewish and was raised by her extreme leftist parents on the upper west side in nyc before it was gentrified, which is totally different from my suburban-okie-methodist upbringing, i really feel like she was writing for me. things i need to read right now. plus. she's a Feminist. so rock on.

0 comments: